Monday, April 22, 2013

Tina - Lesson 6, Project 2 - Building Composition - Final Post

Monday, April 22, 2013

Tina - Lesson 6, Project 2 - Building Composition - Final Post



Finally, whatever begins must end. So it is with my adventure into abstract collage painting. After this experience, I am a new person. I see and do things differently now, and a whole world of possibilities are now open to me. Thank You. 
Here is the final assignment of Lesson 6 – Project 2: Building a Composition. 

Composition #1 – Full Sun. 9x9 watercolor paper, acrylics & paper collages.
This was study #3 for Depth and Atmosphere. I kept the background color as is, added self-made collages of circle, squares, and rectangle. The collage for the circle was cut from the paper palette with left over paint. Then I painted over the rectangle, added orange color and veiled white paint, and created the texture on the lower right quadrant with a plastic comb. I added the large black rectangle lines to balance out the orange-red circle. For variety of scales, I added small white squares, yellow circles, and the thin squiggly line (using brown Prismacolor Fine Line Marker 0.5) . To pull it all together, I glazed the piece with transparent primary yellow paint, which pulls the warm colors forward and pushes the cool color back.

Full Sun, 9x9


Composition #2 – Circles in triangle. 9x9 watercolor paper, acrylics & paper collage.

This is the #2 study for Depth and Atmosphere where the 3 circles in the triangle were previously painted over in blue. I cut circle collages from the palette papers used to mix paints and added them to this piece.  I added orange paint in different spots, white mesh texture on the left, script on the top right quadrant, and redraw the black triangle line to bring the triangle out. After I veiled the image with white, I glazed the piece with transparent primary yellow paint like in composition #1.
 
Circles in triangle, 9x9
Composition #3 – Open composition. 9x9 watercolor paper, acrylics & paper collage.  

This was study #1 for Depth & Atmosphere, the donut was the only prominent thing on that piece. I added paper collage from print magazine, used palette papers and sketches from my line studies. Then I added the blue honeycomb pattern (using a plastic template) on the bottom and small blue squares on the right edge (well it was intended to be squares!). They look heavy. So, I added the white mesh structure to soften them. I like the effect of the white mesh texture, I used them everywhere just for fun. 
 
Open Composition, 9x9
  There you have it. Watching Jane’s video really helped me with this last project. Now I know how to make my own collage papers and I'm loving it! Thank You, Jane for everything. See you around :-)

1 comment:

  1. 1 comment:

    Jane Davies April 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM

    WOW! Really interesting pieces, and great atmosphere! Great job. Two things I can see here: you might try veiling over parts of your shapes, or some whole shapes. The atmosphere is great, but then the shapes (more or less) are in the same plane. The other thing is that you could cover up some of your atmosphere to contrast it against flat space. Just a suggestion.
    Reply

    ReplyDelete