Friday, April 19, 2013

Tina - Lesson 3 and 3a

Tina: Lesson 3 and 3a



Lesson 3a projects
OK. I’m feeling the pressure here! For the teeny tiny cruciform studies, I drew 12 thumbnail sketches.
Here they are:



Then I did 8 pieces of 6x6 collages. This is where the learning took place. The first layer of paint on the papers was easy. I copied some of the cruciform from the thumbnail sketches. I’m getting to know the Basic fluid acrylic paint (i.e.: they are transparent paint - don’t mix well to get secondary colors; and they feel like plastic). Then I pasted the collages using matte medium on all 8 pieces. This was a bit of a challenge to do ---  which scrap paper, which color, and where to place it on the cruciform. Then another layer of paint to integrate the foreground collage with the background. Here monkey mind starts dancing… what and how much to obscure, what and how much to reveal? What / where is the focal point? What is the narrative? Hard to silence the monkey mind; but I finished all eight pieces last night. Upon review this morning, only 5 pieces look like something… Here they are. What do you see?  I think it’s still too tight – need to loosen up some more without changing the core of the image. 





Lesson 3 project:
Going back to Lesson 3, I decided not to agonize on this piece. Paint the cruciform and glue the collage – all in one layer. Then go over it with more layers, blue, yellow, green, and white. I found a piece of bubble wrap and used it in one quadrant just to see how it looks. I found a small folded hair comb. Used the comb to scratch straight lines in the paint in one quadrant, and used the tip of the brush to put dots in one quadrant and smeared paint randomly on the last quadrant. Voila, a Cruciform with texture, positive and negative space - but still no focal point, no narrative, yet.. I think I got the process down, yes? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment