Friday, April 19, 2013

Tina - Lesson 4 - Pattern and scale

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Tina - Lesson 4 - Pattern and scale


This assignment looks simple and easy; do a background grid and add patterns and texture on it. But the process is formidable for me. Unlike the Cruciform project, where the background has each grid clearly defined in four corners, this Pattern and Scale project has no clearly defined background. Looking at Jane’s example I see light and dark application of the paint, the grid is faintly visible, no hard edges, just a delicate balance between light and dark. This poses a tremendous challenge for me, as I am used to work and function in a clearly defined environment (Oh, attachment...).  I couldn’t get the paint mix right and when I do divide the plane in grids the lines are too pronounced. This makes me long for watercolor washes… Well there’s an idea! But for now acrylics it is and attempt I must – as you see in the 6 small pieces below. Oops - I just noticed the title of the Lesson "Pattern and Scale" - Did I do this assignment right? Ahhh --- if I have to ask...huh???
Here is my sketches of pattern and scale:  




And here are the 6x6 paintings:








No comments:

Post a Comment